Saturday, September 17, 2011

One step forward...



So a few weeks ago I joined GLAWS (The Greater Los Angeles Writers Society). They have a lot to offer writers, aspiring or veteran. I figured it would be a good way to meet people and network and get feedback on my book. I even got a membership badge!!

Today I went to my first event. It was a panel where some literary editors talked about editing and other aspects of the basics of writing a novel. I had been looking forward to it since I first heard about it and it was everything I hoped it would be! I learned a lot and I met a few people. I even talked to one of the editors on the panel and he said he'd be happy to look at my book for me!

I am such a chicken when it comes to my book. It is written from start to finish. It needs editing, obviously, but I am so scared to let other people look at it. The hubby hasn't even read it yet. Not a single word!! I don't really even like to tell people I've written a book at all. I always said I'd wait until it was about to be published, that way I don't have to tell people "Nope, not yet." or "I'm still trying..." that sort of thing.

Joining GLAWS and going to this panel today suddenly makes it all seem so real. Talking to a real editor who wants to help me means it is no longer just something I did when I had a few spare minutes. This is one big step forward to doing what I really want to be doing. If I ever hoped to see my book with my name on it on the shelves of a bookstore, I needed to step out of my comfort zone and just go for it.

I just know that today's step was a big one in the right direction :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment