Friday, September 16, 2011

Change Up Enchiladas

Welcome to my first recipe post!

I really like enchiladas, but sometimes I want to shake things up a bit, so that is where this recipe comes in. Instead of a traditional red sauce, it uses a cream sauce.

*WARNING: THIS RECIPE IS NOT HEALTHY* I won't even tell you the calories per serving.You can always justify it by saying "but I used Low Fat sour cream and low fat cream of chicken soup" which is what I do, but we all know we are really fooling anybody. :0)  Also, I'm not usually a fan of using cream of anything soups, but in this case it helps make a really nice sauce.

This recipe calls for almonds, which I initially thought was weird, but it actually adds a nice nutty flavor and some texture. I also add some corn to the mix because I did it on a whim once and it worked out really well.

Ingredients:
  • ¼  cup slivered almonds
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
  • 1 4-ounce can diced green chile peppers, drained
  • 1 3-ounce package cream cheese, softened
  • 1 tablespoon milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 2 cups chopped cooked chicken or turkey
  • 12 7-inch flour tortillas or 6-inch corn tortillas
  • 1 10.75-ounce can reduced-fat condensed cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 8-ounce carton light dairy sour cream
  • 1 cup milk
  • ¾ cup shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese (3 ounces)
  • 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
 I had cooked up my chicken yesterday and shredded it with my cool new Pampered Chef salad choppers. They are for salad, but at the party I went to, the demonstrator used them to shred chicken and it works like a dream!!

In a medium skillet cook the the onion in hot butter over medium heat until onion is tender and nuts are lightly toasted. This is where I added the frozen corn and you would add the almonds if you were using them. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the canned green chile peppers; reserve remaining peppers for sauce
In a medium bowl stir together cream cheese, the 1 tablespoon milk, and the cumin; add nut mixture and chicken. Stir until combined. Spoon about 3 tablespoons of the chicken mixture onto each tortilla near an edge; roll up. Place filled tortillas, seam side down, in a greased 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Set aside.
 You know, sometimes your hands are your best kitchen tools!!
For sauce, in a medium bowl combine the reserved chile peppers, the soup, sour cream, and the 1 cup milk. Pour evenly over the tortillas in the baking dish. Cover with foil.
Bake, covered, in a 350 degree oven about 35 minutes or until heated through. Remove foil. Sprinkle enchiladas with cheese and the 2 tablespoons almonds. Return to oven; bake about 5 minutes more or until cheese melts. Makes 6 servings.


Like I said, not in anyway healthy, but it is delicious! And a nice alternative to the red sauce traditional enchiladas!

Original recipe source: http://www.bhg.com/recipe/chicken/chicken-enchiladas/

Let me know if you try this and how it turned out.

Happy Cooking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment