Tuesday, September 6, 2011

A closet full of clothes and nothing to wear...

This has been a topic of discussion for my friends and me off and on for quite sometime (particularly Jenn and Valerie). We aren't in college anymore, but we're young. We are young, but we're moms. We are mom's, but we aren't old. Deciding what to wear has suddenly become an awful punishment of some sort. What the heck are we supposed to wear??

It doesn't help that I am a little bit afraid of fashion. I know what is in style and I know what looks good and what doesn't, but my concern is I will wear something that is in style and trendy, but people are silently thinking "who does she think she is fooling, trying to wear that outfit?" I'm afraid I can't pull it off. I'm not exactly next in line to appear on "What Not to Wear" or anything, but I don't think Clinton and Stacey would be jumping for joy at most of my wardrobe either. I know there are certain trends that only look good on certain people/body types, so that's a start in avoiding the wrong things, right?

Thanks to my obsession with Pinterest and all the people pinning pre-selected outfits from polyvore.com, I've started to try to define my style. I've decided to face my fashion fears. I've started mixing classic pieces with a few trendy things. I've also discovered that most of what I own is fine, its just how to wear it. Mixing and matching. It also helps that my sister, who is a fantastic dresser, and I have a sort of backwards arrangement. We don't do hand-me-downs, we do hand-me-ups. She's eight years younger than me, but about 40% of my closet is made up of her clothes.

I'm slowly buying new, cute and mom-appropriate items to add to my wardrobe, while going through my closet and drawers doing the "when was the last time I wore this and when will I wear it again?" test.


I don't think you'll be seeing me on the cover of any fashion magazines anytime soon, but I like to think my new attitude on couture will give me new lease on my fashion life and I can walk down the street feeling good about myself, looking cute in what I'm wearing... whether I'm pushing a stroller or not.

(<-- Me in one of my cute new outfits. It's the end of a hot day, so my hair isn't looking top notch :0/ )

1 comment:

  1. I love the outfit! I also feel like people would look at me funny if I tried to be trendy. I also gravitate toward "strange" pieces (buttons, ruffles, uneven hems) so my daily routine is usually a tee to be "safe." You've inspired me to start putting together outfits.

    ReplyDelete