Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Abracadabra: My trip to the Magic Castle

So I'm kind of obsessed with magic.  I don't do it myself, but I love watching other people do it. I find it mind-boggling. I don't have any idea how it's done, and I don't want to know. If someone says "Well, I saw him...." after a show, I plug my ears and "la, la, la, la..." away. I seriously don't want to know. Don't ruin it.
 
I remember as a kid, we had one of those Klutz books of magic tricks and they were pretty cool. When I was in high school, though, I went to winter camp with my church group and one night, during some free time, someone showed me a card trick that blew my mind. Ever since then, I've been so impressed with good magicians. And true magicians too, not the David Blaine "I'm going to sit in a box for a week and call myself a magician" more David Blaine "Street Magic."
 
Every year there are some crazy good magicians on America's Got Talent (another small obsession of mine). But this year, for my birthday, I was given the chance to go to The Magic Castle. If you don't know, the Magic Castle is an exclusive club for magicians. We are talking world-class magic here, you guys. You have to either be a member or know someone who's a member (or in my case, know someone who knows someone who is a member). They have an up-close magic room (which was my absolute favorite), and a few bigger magic rooms. Throughout the Castle (which is really a mansion), there are bars and tables set up and lots of impromptu magic shows going on. This place has been on my bucket list ever since I first knew it even existed, and it was everything I wanted it to be. 
 

We went to the close-up room twice with two different magicians. The room is so small--it only holds about 20 people--so it is definitely close-up. The two guys we saw were so good! I was so impressed and amazed and baffled. How do they do it?!?!?!?  No. Don't tell me! I could have spent hours in there watching them.
 
The other show we saw was with a magician named Liberty Larsen. She was really good, but what I found most fascinating was her history. She said she was a fourth generation magician, dating back to her great-grandfather who performed magic in Los Angeles in the 1940's, when it was literally illegal to do so. She didn't say so, but putting two-and-two together, I believe her grandfather is Bill Larsen, Jr., the co-founder of The Magic Castle. She only touched on her story briefly, but I'm sure it's worth hearing. Maybe she'll write a book someday. 
 
It was a great night and the perfect birthday celebration.  If you ever get the opportunity to go, DO IT! Or let me know so I can go for you.  


No comments:

Post a Comment