Monday, May 31, 2010

Blue Like Jazz


Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller is a book that I read in college. Then I read it again later in college. Then I read it again... and again... and again... You get the point. I loved this book. It gave me a whole new way to look at life. Having grown up in a Christian home, Christian church and Christian school, sometimes I think we can get a little bit lackadaisical in our faith and we just start spouting off the "Sunday School" answers without really thinking about what we are really saying in regards to our beliefs. This book was my answer to that. I didn't necessarily agree with 100% of what he said (he tends to be quite liberal sometimes), but most often, he is right on the money and says great things. I honestly think everyone should read this.

To me, the book is about what to do with your faith. You know that God exists and who He is, but this is about what you do with that belief. How you use it to live your life.

"I mean that to be in a relationship with God is to be loved purely and furiously. And a person who thinks himself unlovable cannot be in a relationship with God because he can't accept who God is; a Being that is love. We learn that we are lovable or unlovable from other people," Paul says. "That is why God tells us so many times to love each other." -Blue Like Jazz

No comments:

Post a Comment