Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Grown-up Decisions...


There is an episode of Friends when Rachel comes back from Ross' honeymoon in Greece and declares that she always makes bad decisions. Monica then volunteers to be her official decision maker.

The point of this Friends reference (get used to those!) is not that I make bad decisions (not anymore anyway; there was a time...) but that sometimes I think it would be nice to have an official decision maker on hand. Like when we were kids, our parents would just make all our major decisions for us. Now, if we need to decide on something major, we are on our own! I have to decide what is best for ME and MY FAMILY. No one else can do it for me. Sure, I can get opinions from other people, but ultimately I have to make the call.

I know everything always works out in the end just how it is supposed to, but getting there is always the tough part. I really don't like the phrase "Let Go and Let God" because it is absurdly cliche, but there is a great truth to it and it is an excellent way to look at making decisions. God has a plan and will show us the way, often within our decisions, allowing us for just a moment to think it was our idea in the first place.

Decisions become easier when your will to please God outweighs your will to please the world. ~Anso Coetzer

Living is a constant process of deciding what we are going to do. ~ Jose Ortega

Life is the sum of all your choices. ~ Albert Camus

The difficulty of life is in the choice. ~George Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment