Thursday, January 23, 2014

My On-Again-Off-Again Relationship with American Idol is Back On

remember when American Idol first started. It was on during the summer after I graduated high school. It wasn't all that big of a deal at the time, since it was so new. I didn't even watch most of the season, but I do remember watching Kelly Clarkson win and then thinking "A Moment Like This" would never stop being played on the radio. I bought her CD when it came out and I was hooked. I've been a Kelly fan ever since.
 
Fast forward a couple years to my college friends and I would have American Idol nights and all get together to watch the show. This was in 2004 so I'm thinking season 3? Anyway, that was the year Idol and I started to drift apart. I think I may be the only one in the world, but I thought Fantasia was terrible. I couldn't understand why the judges were so in love with her voice. If you remember, this was also the year the Jennifer Hudson was elimated in 6th place (what the what?!) and William Hung became a thing (God help us all). I ended it with Idol.
 
It's really too bad I chose to stop watching after that season, because the next season (4) was Carrie Underwood's year and of course who doesn't love her? My decision to stay separated was validated, however, when Taylor Hicks won season 5 (though I do like Kellie Pickler and Bucky Covington who came from this season).
 
I decided to give Idol another chance in season 9. It was a shaky reunion, for sure. I thought there was some decent talent. Although nothing came of his win, I thought Lee DeWyze was pretty good; I'm kind of a sucker for the gravelly-voiced rockers. I didn't think there was anything wrong with Crystal Bowersox, but every time I saw her, I thought it looked like she hadn't showered in awhile, which sort of grossed me out. Overall, it was a mediocre season at best. Same with season 10, although I loved having Steven Tyler as a judge. This season saw the best contestants go too soon (Casey Abrams and Pia Toscano) and Scotty McCreery's win was justified I suppose, but his coronation song totally creeped me out (I love you this big... really? You're not 4 years old). Season 11 introduced Colton Dixon and Philip Phillips into my life, which was not a bad thing. 
 
Even though Idol was clearly making an effort to make our relationship work, I had to break it off again a few episodes into season 12. As much as I love me some Keith Urban, I was so sick of Randy Jackson by that point and Mariah Carey and Nicki Minaj are just ridiculous. I couldn't handle it anymore; it was over.
 
When they started advertising for season 13, my heart leaped with joy. Randy Jackson was gone! Keith Urban is back along with Jennifer Lopez! And the best news of all since Kelly Clarkson won: HARRY CONNICK JR WILL BE A JUDGE!!!!! I couldn't handle it. I just think he's the bees knees. And after only a couple episodes, he has not disappointed. I think all three judges have really good chemistry (especially Harry and Keith, who crack me up every episode). I love what Harry Connick Jr brings to the table. He obviously has the musical knowledge and he's honest without being mean, a la Simon Cowell (who I admit, I actually liked). He told a 15 year old girl to sing age appropriate songs; he's not impressed with vocal gymnastics when they aren't necessary; he stopped the one joke audition (which used to dominate the show and have been all but eliminated now) and told him that the contestant was disrespecting the process and the people who work hard to be there and take it seriously. Go HCJ.  
 
So my Idol relationship has resumed. The only request I would like to make this season would be for the contestants to stop saying they've been watching the show since they were 3 years old. It makes some of us feel really old.

No comments:

Post a Comment