Monday, July 30, 2012

Baking with the kiddo!

It's no secret that I love anything that has to do with food or the kitchen. Cooking? Check! Baking? Check! This is something I hope to pass on to my kid(s). I believe it when they say that kids will likely be more willing to try new things when they help prepare the meal. Hopefully this will work because I'm all for my kid trying anything other than Mac & Cheese and chicken nuggets! (He eats a few other things too, but he's quite picky and not willing to try...)

This week, thanks to a club card special and a coupon, I found a couple new products from Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines that I think will help my 2 1/2 year old to know that there is more to the kitchen than the refrigerator as a space for this magnetic letters and numbers. It only cost me a few dollars to try this new product, but even without a coupon it would be reasonable.

All you need is the new Betty Crocker Shake 'n Pour cupcake mix (there is also a funfetti flavor mix and a brownie mix). Just follow the instructions on the back: Add water, shake and pour. Its super easy; you can see why this was perfect for a toddler. I would highly recommend watching them carefully in the pouring stage. Trust me.

To frost, I used a new product from Duncan Hines called Frosting Creations. I've seen them before, but I tend to prefer my own frosting to canned, but for $1 with a coupon, I had to give it a shot. You take the plain frosting and add the flavor powder you choose. They have quite a few flavor options too. The frosting is very smooth and easy to mix, so once again, perfect for the younger set.

I think the regular box mixes are a bit better, flavor-wise, but this one was still pretty good and the cake was really moist. The best part, it was really easy for JJ to do mostly himself and he had a lot of fun doing it.

 Shake, shake, shake!! This is the fun part

Of course you have to lick the spoon! (We had a spoon because he poured a bit too much and had to do a little batter transfer!)
Checking the progress





 Can you tell which ones JJ did?
 Always clean up after yourself!

 Enjoy the fruits of your labor!



1 comment: