Saturday, October 29, 2011

Pumpkin Time!!

I love Fall. The colors, the chill in the air, the cinnamon-y candles, the apple cider, the hot chocolate, the soups & stews, the sweaters & scarves, Thanksgiving. Fall is my absolute most favorite time of year and we are FINALLY starting to feel it in SoCal. Someday I'll go where the leaves change bright shades of orange and red and yellow; where the air is crisp and scarves and sweaters are necessary, not just a cute fashion statement. For now, I'll have to live with the fact that I had to order fake autumn leaves to spread out at my Fall wedding a few years back and inconsistent weather fluctuating between a frigid 60 degrees and a don't-put-away-the-sweaters-just-yet 75 degrees. High class problems, I guess...

With Fall, naturally, comes pumpkins. I've always been a fan, but for some reason this year I'm really on a pumpkin kick. There's just something about the flavors that make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. There are a lot of really yummy pumpkin treats out there, and in following the example of my friend Julie at her blog with her "Things she's lovin'" (or Oprah's favorite things, either way...) Here is a list of my favorite pumpkin goodies:

1. Trader Joe's Pumpkin Cream Cheese

This one is simply AMAZING. I saw it advertised in their monthly ad and I thought, "Hm, I'll have to give it a try." I am so glad I did. While I was there I bought a bag of pretzel sticks to go with the cream cheese. I actually had it sitting in my fridge for a couple of days before I tried it, but when I took that first bite, I was sad I had waited so long. I had to force myself to put it away when I realized I'd eaten almost of the container (in all fairness, it is only an 8oz container). I did eventually finish it off and have since gone back to get more. Three more containers in fact. You could give me a spoon and a tub of this amazingness and I would be a happy girl. I also put some in the middle of those Pillsbury crescent rolls and baked them and they were very yummy! Since this is only a seasonal product, I'm going to have to figure out how to make it myself. It shouldn't be too hard; the ingredients on the side were very simple, it is just a matter of proportions, but I'm willing to do the taste testing along the way to figure it out!

2. Trader Joe's Pumpkin Ice Cream

Here is another yummy container of deliciousness from our friends at Trader Joe's. My friend Valerie kept talking about Pumpkin ice cream, and I've seen it in the regular grocery stores around this time of year. The problem with the Dryer's version was that it costs almost $7 and you get 1/2 gallon. What if I didn't like it? That would be a waste, but I thought for $2.50 at Trader Joe's, why not give it a shot? As soon as I opened the lid, it smelled like Thanksgiving. The rich, creamy ice cream was the perfect texture. The cinnamon was just kicky enough. The nutmeg was a bit heavy at first, but I quickly got used to it. It was like someone froze Thanksgiving and stuck it in my freezer. I will be sad when this is no longer offered at Trader Joe's, but will welcome it back with open arms and spoon in hand whenever Fall rolls around.






3. Eggo's Pumpkin Waffles

I saw these at Target one day and I had to try them. They are pretty good, actually. The smell of nutmeg and cinnamon and pumpkin fill the kitchen while they are toasting. It is heavenly. The taste, however, is not quite as strong as the smell. They are still very tasty though and a nice change of pace for breakfast at the office.






4. Starbucks' Pumpkin Spice Latte

This is the latte people wait all year for. It has pumpkin, it has spice and best of all, it has caffeine!! I worked at Starbucks years ago and that was my first taste of this wonderful latte, and I never looked back. This year they added a Salted Caramel Mocha to their fall drinks and I have to say I was seriously disappointed. It isn't even caramel. It is a Toffee Mocha and I've been making them for years, even before I worked at Starbucks. That's not to say it wasn't good, it just wasn't what they said it was. So I'll stick with my pumpkin spice and savor the way it warms me up from the inside and makes me feel like fall is really and truly arrived.




5. Paula Deen's Pumpkin bars

My mom made these a few years back and now we both make them at least once during the fall season. These cake bars are so wonderfully moist and full of flavor. And the cream cheese frosting on top is to. die. for. I make it for everything I need to frost. I'm not a huge frosting fan usually because, usually, it either tastes like pure sugar or crisco. But cream cheese frosting, takes the cake, so to speak. You must make these bars, but I recommend making two pans because they will go fast.



My sister in law told me that there are pumpkin Pop Tarts out there, but I have yet to see them in the store. I'd love to try those though!!


What's your favorite pumpkin thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment