Sunday, December 11, 2011

Nostalgic for Christmas Movies

Ah, Christmas... I LOVE this time of year. It is my absolute favorite. I love the lights and the colors and the warm feelings despite the chill in the air. I love Christmas music, but what I really love are the movies.

Yep, I watch Christmas movies all season long, almost always starting with Love Actually. The ones on Lifetime, Hallmark, or ABC Family are my current favorite and guilty pleasure, bonus points if they include Dean Cain as a cocky Scroogey rich who unexpectedly falls in love with a down-on-her-luck girl who changes his whole world view, all thanks to the magic of Christmas.

I love the classics like Miracle on 34th Street (Natalie Wood edition), It's a Wonderful Life, Holiday Inn and White Christmas.

Lately I have been feeling nostalgic for the children's classics I enjoyed growing up. JJ is about the right age to start enjoying them too and I am loving being able to relive them with him. My friend said it best: "Having kids is like having a time machine." This year, we've been watching "Mickey's Christmas Carol" "Frosty the Snowman" "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" and "Charlie Brown Christmas."

When I was a kid, we had a VHS tape of a bunch of Christmas specials taped off the television. It included the ones above and also a few others like "Smurf's Christmas" "Muppet Family Christmas" "A Mouse, A Mystery, and Me" (bonus points if you remember that one! You can watch it below, thanks to Google Video!), and "Twas the Night Before Christmas" (I just saw that one at Costco today and I am kicking myself for not buying it!). I was just telling my brother that I wish we had kept that video so we could have converted it to DVD now. I get nostalgic for it every year.

Thank you Disney, Jim Henson, and Raskin Bass for giving me great childhood memories that I can pass on to my own children.

No comments:

Post a Comment